Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version. dismiss

HomeGeneral

General issues

PEM Cert Conversion for PEAP Authentication Messages in this topic - RSS

dutani
dutani

dutani
dutani
I received a .pem cert from a customer which they use as their server cert for PEAP authentication; they use a different RADIUS service. I imported this cert on my RADIUS server, however it seems that the software is reading it with a purpose of "Client Authentication" even though the cert is for both client and server. When I try to check for the attribute "TLS-Server-Certificate" the cert is not there, however it does populate if I select "TLS-Client-Certificate". Attached are the relevant images.

Is this a bug in the software in its inability to read a cert with a dual purpose?
0 link
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Admin
Admin
Administrator
Hi,

You need to import the certificate with its associated private key to Windows Certificate Store / Local Machine / Personal folder and you must set private key exportable while importing.

Best regards,

Yasin KAPLAN
0 link
dutani
dutani

dutani
dutani
The cert was already imported in both the Personal and Root folders. Whenever I create a test cert through TekCERT with a purpose of "All" and have it stored in those same directories, I am able to view the test cert as either Client or Server.

There is no associated private key with the .pem cert that has been provided to me.

To me it appears that the software sees the cert as a Client cert whenever it should see it as both.
0 link
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Admin
Admin
Administrator
You should also ask for private key if this certificate was used for PEAP authentication. I recommend you to combine .pem with its associated private key into a .pfx file and then import it; https://www.ssl.com/how-to/create-a-pfx-p12-certificate-file-using-openssl/
+1 link
dutani
dutani

dutani
dutani
That fixed my issue. Thank you so much!
0 link
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Admin
Admin