Admin
Administrator
Please also try https://www.kaplansoft.com/tekradius/release/TRManagerLT6.zip
0 link
slebbon
slebbon

slebbon
slebbon
I seem to have this same problem on a trial install on a Windows 2016 server. I've never had a prior version of TekRADIUS installed before. It freezes just like the OP screenshot when launching the manager. Tried re-installing, with no change. Downloaded version 5.5 for first time today.
Deleting the TekRADIUS.db and TekRADIUSLT.db3 files didn't make a difference.
0 link
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Admin
Admin
Administrator
Hi,

I have just tried to install TekRADIUS LT on to a Windows 2016 Server standard and I had no problem. Have you tried to install TekRADIUS LT on to another machine? Is it possible you to check Windows Event Log / Application for TekRADIUS related errors? TekRADIUS LT Manager displays progress on startup. At which step TekRADIUS LT Manager freezes?

Best regards,

Yasin KAPLAN
0 link
slebbon
slebbon

slebbon
slebbon
It seems to get past all the loading screens, and then hangs in drawing the main window.

There doesn't appear to be anything logged in Event Viewer that correlates with starting the application. Windows logs a generic appliction forced to close error when i give up and force it closed:
The program TRManagerLT.exe version 5.5.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 734
Start Time: 01d4aea8f00d87d2
Termination Time: 20
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\TekRADIUS LT\TRManagerLT.exe
Report Id: e67957c5-1a9d-11e9-a965-000d3a4da112
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

If i start the service it of course logs an error that no clients are defined, but that's to be expected because I've never launched manager to setup a client yet. It's a pretty new install of Server 2016 too, not much else has been installed...

I've also attached the wer crash file that windows generated, although i'm not sure that helps much...
i'll try on another similar server as well...

0 link
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Admin
Admin
Administrator
You may need to install the latest Windows updates. Have you tried to install TekRADIUS LT on to another machine?
0 link
slebbon
slebbon

slebbon
slebbon
I have installed onto a second machine at a different location and it did work. I notice a difference is that the second one creates a TekRADIUS.gui file in the program folder. That file is not created on the machine that was hanging. The empty .db and .db3 files were created on both. I thought the non-working machine has all the recent windows updates, but it's now installing cumulative update 2019-1. They both have the same A/V product, with the same policies (centrally managed). Interestingly i checked for updates on the 'working' computer and it was also missing update 2019-1. I'm installing it on both and will see if it makes a difference. If at all possible I would like to get the non-working machine working.
0 link
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Admin
Admin
Administrator
.gui file is created when you exit TekRADIUS Manager. Do you see any notification in you A/V program?
0 link
slebbon
slebbon

slebbon
slebbon
No indication in A/V of issues. I also tried adding "c:\Program Files (x86)\TekRADIUS LT\" path to white-list just in case.
No difference either after installing the latest windows update 2019-1.

Is there any other application log file or thing I can try? I'm not really sure what would be different about the two machines I'm trying on, they were built around the same time and have done very little since. I'm not sure what else would be different between them to cause issues with this software on one and not the other.
0 link
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Admin
Admin
Administrator
This problems generally caused by low level system problems. Try to delete TekRADIUS.db and TekRADIUSLT.db3
0 link
slebbon
slebbon

slebbon
slebbon
Found the issue, and I was able to launch the software OK. The Windows NPS service was installed (although it had never been setup) on this machine. Since this also runs a RADIUS server, the TekRADIUS Manager must be trying to connect/hangs when checking the default RADIUS Server port or something? As soon as I removed the Windows NPS Service and rebooted, the TekRADIUSLT Manager client opened OK. If that's a known limitation it might be worth noting in the system requirements (what is perhaps obvious in retrospect) that no other RADIUS server software is present/running on the machine?
0 link
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Admin
Admin
Administrator
This should not be a problem. You get an error message only when you start TekRADIUS service in this case. Do you TekRADIUS using Administrator or equivalent account?
0 link
slebbon
slebbon

slebbon
slebbon
I don't know what else to say, it certainly works fine now, only change was to uninstall NPS role. Same admin account, everything, it was the only thing I changed between attempts. Try adding NPS role from add/remove server features on your test Win 2016 server and confirm? At any rate I'm happy now I am able to finally test the software and see if it will work for our needs.
0 link